Saturday 7 December 2019

Why I nearly gave up blogging....


It has been around 10 months since I last posted a blog, and for a long time I was adamant that I never would again. To say this last year was difficult would be an understatement, and one that I definitely needed time to concentrate and process.


The last few months have been the most horrendous and difficult time that I think I will ever go through. For those that are unaware, on 5th March 2019 at approximately 10AM my beautiful and wonderful mother passed away from cancer at the age of 58. Just 11 days before her birthday, and 20 days before mine. Her cancer battle was a short, but extremely difficult one. 


After becoming unwell towards the end of 2018, she was diagnosed with cancer just a few days before Christmas and within 10 weeks she was gone. She had been poorly for a few weeks but was deteriorating by the day and in my heart, I knew that it would be the last Christmas we would ever have with her. And It was extremely difficult to put on a brave face. How could we go from Christmas shopping a few weeks before, to finding out she had terminal cancer? My whole world had turned upside down.


When Mum was diagnosed, I found myself thrown into a constant state of worry, exhaustion and anxiety. My relationship with her had totally changed, while I tried to keep things as normal as possible, her level of care completely changed, and I found that our roles had become reversed. After all the years Mum had cared for me, I found myself becoming the carer along with my father.


Everything seemed to be happening so quick. By New Years, she was rushed back into hospital and we very nearly lost her. Thankfully she managed to pull through, however we knew that we had a long road ahead. 

Suddenly, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders, and the new responsibilities I now had. This woman who cared for me during my darkest days, who carried me down the stairs when I couldn’t walk. The woman who would push me in my wheelchair when I needed to go out. The woman who would pick me up when I was down. The woman who dried my tears and told me that everything would always work out, suddenly needed all that from me. And although I never showed it, it absolutely terrified me. How would I cope without the woman who has been my rock for the last 22 years of my life?




Alongside the stress of caring and dealing with the fact that my mother is terminally ill, I also had to deal with the normal stresses that come with having EDS, maintain my university grades and work! I can honestly say that within just a few short weeks, I found myself totally burnout and drained. And although we knew Mum was terminally ill, and we never really expected her to go as quick as she did. 

At that time, her battle felt like a lifetime and I found myself feeling a mixture of emotions- relief that she was no longer in any more pain, but a profound yearning for her to just give me a hug. 

Here I am, 9 months later, and while the grief and emotions aren't as raw as they were, I am still going through so many emotional experiences that I never thought I would at this stage. It has taken me until now to be able to fully address the trauma and upset that has happened over the last few months, as it is surprising how grief can affect you. I had lost so much confidence and have missed out on so many opportunities because of my grief. And it has taken until now to realise, that my mother wouldn’t want this for me. She would want me to be grabbing life by the hands and embracing every opportunity like I had done before. And I will do, again.

For something that is so common as death, there is very little support or information about the subject of grief. People suddenly expect you to get back to normal very quickly, to try to move on and repress how you feel as it isn’t "appropriate". It doesn’t seem right to me that, in 2019, we still have the attitude that we must "move on" and as such, I definitely plan to do more blog posts and hopefully some volunteer work to address the stigma of grief and death.


"No one ever told me that grief felt so much like fear" C.S Lewis


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© BendyBlogs♿️
Blogger Templates made by pipdig